Sunday 12 September 2010

0% Fat

A long and mixed weekend of family, hangovers and treats is on its way out of the door. It finishes with the construction of a chocolate biscuit cake. Which is to say, not chocolate biscuits but a chocolate cake with biscuits. I am not known for my cakes so, being charged with making one for my leaving do, I opt for the oven-free variety. The chocolate biscuit cake rekindles my childhood memories. It contains Golden Syrup, still from a green tin, that I had all but forgotten dripping off hot buttered toast. And my chocolate biscuit cake also contains marshmallows which, on reading the packet, I am astounded to read are fat free. How can that be I wonder as I pop a spare one into my gaping mouth?

Daughter number two has the nerve to turn thirty this weekend. In preparation, aged parents rearrange golf, bowls, landscape gardening, go-karting, house renovations and forego haute cuisine in order to drive south for the celebrations which commence with an excellent fish supper in town. Friday is the birthday and Raclette has been requested but before that, we must take the train to Weymouth for ‘a trip out’. The train ride is lovely. Weymouth is not. Trip Advisor claim that Weymouth is fourth on the list of emerging popular destinations. Has anyone from Trip Advisor been to Weymouth? And where are the other three on their list? Milford Haven? Actually, it’s quite nice on the quay but it flashes past in the blink of an eye to be noted only as a possibility for a future visit by those who like craft shops. We yomp along the sea-front back to the station and manage to accomplish the ‘day out’ in precisely two hours. I recall my father saying they’d done the Camargue by 11.30am.

We are nine for the Raclette; three more than anticipated. Gradually, the old and young fall by the wayside and the hard core drinkers, who had no intention of drinking so much, remain to mix their intake and watch Winnebago Man on YouTube. The next day, having double-booked, I miss the actual party and zoom off reluctantly with daughter number one to Southampton. We have tickets for the 25th anniversary production of Les Miserables prior to its appearance in the West End on Tuesday. I do not want to go. I have a headache and I have discovered that the show is three hours long. We emerge from the theatre at 10.30. It has been simply amazing. I can’t remember being so transfixed and I have run out of adjectives. It was quite wonderful.

The man-child falls in the door at 6.45 this morning. He’s not looking well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQQfBrSUs0

1 comment:

  1. I may have 'done' the Camargue by 11.30am, but I was late setting out!
    I have written on a previous occasion about Tripe Advisor (see watman-more-than-somewhat.blogspot.com) in June this year. I believe Long Buckby may have also been one of their top three choices for emerging popular destinations, just pipped by Daventry!

    ReplyDelete

If you can work out how to leave a comment you are a genius