Wednesday 20 October 2010

From a distance

Whatever possessed me to think I could maintain this blog, let alone two of them? Life is non-stop down on the peninsula and I have to write the news from a distance…both geographically and temporally. Incidentally, the all powerful Google won’t let me use that last word. I mean of time and not of impermanence. That’s what comes of being an academic or at least having aspirations to. I might have invented an adverb for temporal and I’m just putting that in not because I’m writing in the footsteps of Proust but because I know how much the family like to make corrections.

Anyway, back to the prosaic. Yesterday evening witnessed the last supper. That is, the exhaustion of all the free meals won by the quiz team supreme: The Lodgers. As per, we set off across the fields for a free steak in a force ten, my good self in the lead owing to the fact that I now possess the world’s most powerful torch. Over-hill and down-dale and just as Ian decides we no longer need battery light due to the brilliantly clear moon, I step over a stile into a field of…what? Who the hell put these cows here? Bloody great brown things, disturbed by the flashing of lights they decided to up sticks and follow us. I clutched Ian. Josh, swearing they weren’t there two hours ago, was on the periphery as we launched into a cross-country sprint.

What is this place we call Cornwall? A desolate, foreboding land full of dolmens and menhirs. A place where I love the subject of my study but where I cheer noisily having crossed the county border on my way out. When I am grown up I will start my own course in homely Dorset. Here are my friends. Here is the stunning Jurassic coastline. Here are proper shops and the north wind fails to blow. Here there is more than one road of escape.

2 comments:

  1. I imagine the great brown things that followed you were animals and not what they dropped. Even with all the mysteries of Cornwall I would have thought walking bullshit to be a rare form of life.
    If you think I exaggerate, read this:

    "A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species . . . "

    Full note can be found by Googling 'Cows'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice turn of phrase Watman. Contrarily, I know quite a few specimens of walking bullshit: I have worked for them.

    Actually, I was assuming you would correct my spelling. Having now realised my error, I understand why I couldn't Google it.

    ReplyDelete

If you can work out how to leave a comment you are a genius