Sunday 27 September 2009

That old memory thing


It's definitely going. Bob....you remember Bob......keeps asking me do I remember this one and that one. I think he has me confused with someone else; sadly, I don't even remember Bob but I'm going to meet him soon. Again. Last time we met we were seven or eight. Now you can add half a century and a lot of optimism. When I go to where he lives I must meet him in a public place and leave addresses and phone numbers with virtually everyone I know as they all think I will be abducted. I should be so lucky.

I am constantly amazed by details of the quotidian long past that other folk remember. And constantly worried about my lack of short or long term memory. Last night I had friends round to dinner. Actually, they're quite classy types and probably referred to it as 'supper'. The one thing I can remember is when 'dinner' used to be at 'dinner-time' which was the middle of the day and 'supper', if it ever appeared, was two Ritz biscuits, a small lump of cheese and a cup of hot milk. Last night, it was stuffed aubergines, sea bass (fresh from the quay) and some pears poached in alcohol with Amarreti biscutis and cherries. Never let it be said that I don't move with the times.

Two of the friends mentioned that they'd been to Glastonbury Festival ...with Springsteen being the highlight...this year and I suggested they should try Glastonbury Carnival which is, alledgedly ( is that the right spelling followers?), the biggest illuminated carnival in Europe. They were a little taken aback as, they informed me, they'd already been....with me! However, it's not just me: not mentioning any names, but James knows who I'm talking about. One of them said they'd queued in the post office to mail a large envelope. Whilst standing in line, he'd observed how much the place had been smartened up: water machine in the corner, pleasing pale blue decor etc. On reaching the next available assistant...cashier number six please....he'd asked how much it would cost to post his letter. Came the reply, 'no idea sir, this is Barclay's Bank'.

so, against my better judgement but in honour of great dinner guests: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPudiBR15mk

Come to think of it, if you really want to listen to this song in the most meaningful way possible, try to get hold of a film called 'Dear America: letters from Vietnam'

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can work out how to leave a comment you are a genius